Starting as a rough demo tape recorded solely by Coil member Drew McDowall, Time Machines started to take full form when McDowall enthusiastically delivered these demo recordings to Balance and Christopherson as sketches for a new Coil project with the primary goal of shifting Coil’s sound further into a more conceptually abstract direction. Largely recorded in 1997 using single takes with minimal post production, these four drones contain every intended fluctuation and tone, along with every glitch of the original – “Artifacts generated by your listening environment are an intrinsic part of the experience.”
“4 Tones to facilitate travel through time.” So begins the listeners’ journey into what has become one of the most treasured and revered pieces of COIL history ever released. Each of the four pieces on Time Machines is named after the chemical compound of the hallucinogenic drug that they were composed for, and the album was meticulously crafted to enable what John Balance referred to as "temporal slips" in time and space, allowing both the artist and audience to figuratively "dissolve time".
Inspired by long form ceremonial music of Tibet and other religions, where the intent is to lose oneself in the music – to meditate or achieve a trance state – Time Machines became Drew McDowall, John Balance, and Peter Christopherson’s “electronic punk-primitive” answer to this tribal concept. Remasterd by Josh Bonati and supervised by Drew McDowall, Time Machines is officially reissued as a double vinyl LP featuring deluxe matte gatefold with gloss overlay and printed eurosleeves inserts. The compact disc edition included reproductions of the six original vinyl stickers and comes housed in a gatefold chipboard digipack featuring spot gloss overlay.
- Black-in-Clear Vinyl 2xLP | 200 edition
- Green & Black Splatter on Clear Vinyl 2xLP | 400 edition
- Clear Green Vinyl 2xLP | 600 edition
- Black Vinyl 2xLP
- Compact Disc
- Art Edition Transparent Orange Vinyl 2xLP | 43 edition (sold out)
- Clear Vinyl 2xLP | 100 edition (sold out)
- Yellow Vinyl 2xLP | 200 edition (sold out)
- Red Vinyl 2xLP | 400 edition (sold out)
- Grey Vinyl 2xLP | 500 edition (sold out)
- Blue Vinyl 2xLP | 500 edition (sold out)
- Transparent Orange Vinyl 2xLP | 1,000 edition (sold out)